Saturday, May 24, 2008

How to Get Missing Forms W-2 and 1099

Documents like Forms W2, 1099-Int, 1099-Misc, 1099-R are needed to complete your tax return. They contain information about your income that you may be required to report on your tax return.

Some of these forms may even be available online. It depends upon the policy of your employer or the who issues the form. So find out from them if you can view it or download it online. If your employer does not have your W2 information online, then you can not get it online from any other source.

If you are an employee you will get Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from each of your employers each year. For example, your employer has until January 31, 2011 to give you 2010 form. You should allow two more weeks to receive your W-2 from employers who send them by mail. If you do not receive your Form W-2, contact your employer to inquire if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to your employer because of an incorrect or incomplete address. After contacting your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for your employer to resend or to issue the W-2.

If you misplaced your W-2, contact your employer. Your employer can replace the lost form with a “reissued statement.” Be aware that your employer is allowed to charge you a fee for providing you with a new W-2. When you do receive your W2, first thing you should do is to check all the information on it to make sure that it is correct. Check your social security number and income and taxes reported on it.

Contact IRS
You should try to get W2 from your employer, as this will save your from some future problems that may arise. If you still do not receive your missing or corrected form by February 15th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, have the following information:
*Employer's name, address, city, and state, including zip code and phone number,
*Your name, address, city and state, including zip code, and Social Security number, and
*Dates of your employer and an estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

With your information, the IRS will contact the employer/payer for you and request the missing form. IRS will also send you a Form 4852 (Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R).

Use Form 4852 for Tax Filing
It is always better to get W2 from your employer. If you do not receive the missing information in time to file, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.

Amending Your Tax Return
On occasion you may get back conflicting documents. You may receive a Form W-2 or W-2C (corrected form) after you filed your return using Form 4852, and the information differs from what you reported on your return. If this happens, you must amend your return by filing a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

W2 and Other Forms for Past Years
The IRS does not retain actual copies of Form W-2. However, the IRS maintains (and will provide free of charge) Form W-2 information for any purpose for the past ten processing years. Call 1–800–829–3676, or visit the IRS web site at to Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to order the information from the IRS.

The only way to get a copy of your Form W-2 from IRS is to order a copy of the entire return on Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and pay a fee of $39.00 per tax year.

The Social Security Administration will provide copies of Forms W-2 for retirement purposes at no charge and for other than retirement purposes for a fee. Call 1–800–772–1213, or visit the SSA web site at for instructions on how to obtain wage information from the SSA.

More Articles:
Your Filing Status
1. Filing Status for Married
2. Head of Household
Exemptions for Dependents
1. Requirements for claiming a dependent
2. Child of separated or divorced parents
Filing Requirements
1. Filing Requirement for a Dependent
2. 2009 Filing Requirements
Your Income
1. W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor
2. Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
3. Filing W4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
4. Missing W2, 1099-Misc, 1099-R, 1099-Int
Income Exemptions and Deductions
1. Moving Expenses
2. Itemized deductions
3. Student Loan Interest Deductions
Income Adjustment
1. Traditional IRA and Roth IRA
2. Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans
U.S. Gift tax and Inheritance Tax
1. The U.S. Gift Tax
2. Tax on Inheritances
Sale of Your Home
1. Profit from the Sale of Your Home
2. Foreclosure or Repossession of Main Home
State Tax Return
1. Working in Two or More States

Complete List of Articles

OctroTalk for iPhone and iPad. Instant messaging, VoIP, SIP audio call, video chat/conference. OctroTalk is an Jabber/Gtalk client with support for Google Talk (GMail) audio and Video calls. Free download from AppStore

No comments: