Sunday, March 30, 2008

Filing 2010 Tax Return after April 17, 2011

The due date to file Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) to get automatic extension for 6 months has passed. Now most of the tax payers can not file for extension. They must file the tax returns without further delay so that the late filing penalty is minimum. If you have filed Form 4848, your due date was October 15, 2011.

Individuals Outside the United States
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, and you are outside the U.S. on the regular due date (April 17, 2011), you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension (until June 16, 2011). For this two month's extension, the taxpayer is not required to file Form 4868. The taxpayer may file Form 4868 to get further extension of 4 months. However, if you pay the tax due after the regular due date, interest and penalty is charged until the date the tax is paid.

Those who Filed Form 4868
For you the due date to file your tax return is October 15, 2011. This is not the due date to pay the tax due. You were expected to pay all your due taxes on or before the regular due date. Even if you have paid the due taxes, it is better to file soon. It is possible that the IRS finds some error in the tax return and you have a tax due. In that case, you will have to pay the due tax amount with interest and penalty.

You Must File the Tax ReturnIf you are required to file your tax return, you must file your tax return even it it is many years old. If you don't file your tax return, and are required to file, you can get in to a problem and it can be even after 10 or more years. Then for you to locate your tax records will become difficult and you will end up paying a huge amount of taxes, interest and penalty. So you must file your tax return. There are a large number of taxpayers who did not file their tax returns, got a big tax due bill after more than 10 years.

If you are expecting a refund, you must still file your tax return. To get a refund you must file your tax return within three years of the due date. If you file your 2010 tax return, later than April 15, 2014, you will not get your tax return. Also, there are always some chances that the IRS may find an error in your tax return, and you end up owing taxes instead of getting a rebate.

More Articles on Your Tax Return
Filing Status
1. Filing Status for Married
2. Filing Status: Head of Household
Exemptions for Dependents
1. Requirements for claiming a dependent
2. Child of separated or divorced parents
Filing Requirements
1. Filing Requirement for a Dependent
Your Income
1. W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor
2. Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
3. Filing W4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
Income Adjustments -- Retirement Plans
1. Trad IRA and Roth IRA
2. Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans
Any Question?If you have a question, send me an email:
Forum on India Taxes, visit

No comments: